Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A New Employer

So we got an e-mail today saying that we (the scribes) are going to shift from being EMA employes to being employees of a company called (I think) Scribe America. I don't like change, just in general, so that was a bit stressful to find out. Especially because the e-mail didn't really go over any details.

I followed up with someone in HR and it looks like we're guaranteed employment with the new company (at least initially), and will remain employed at the same hospital we're at now. Both of which came as a relief. Apparently the actual change won't take place for roughly three months, so it's not worth stressing over. If I'm going to stress over something for the next three months (and I am), I want to make it the MCAT, not this.

My initial feeling is that it's too bad though. I liked the company that hired me for whatever reason. Even named my adopted cat after them... but guess that's not enough to prevent change.

Anyways.

I followed up with the premed people at AU who (hopefully?) will get my e-mail this time. Sent them an updated copy of my resume and tried to check in on the status of my letters of rec again. I tried to talk to my faculty mentor there last week, but she was out because of car troubles. Hopefully I'll be able to see her in person next week, since I have a few things I'd like to discuss with her.

I'm rapidly doing some physics review now, and plan on starting my fancy expensive online MCAT course by March 21st. I wanted to quickly do my own physics review before I start though, so I can have gone over all the topics on the exam in at least some detail.

I might have talked about this earlier, but physics really is magical. I lost sight of that in the midst of exams, and stress, and stuff, but it's neat. Where else can you be "we need to find the distance/acceleration/whatever of this block going down at this angle, but to do that we'll pretend it's going down and horizontally in two separate vectors rather than the one vector we actually see.... and that will let us solve for one variable, which won't actually give us an answer.... until we decide to plug that into the equation for the second one!" And then all the answers just suddenly crystallize.

I don't know exactly how to describe it. It just seems so arbitrary/forced/nonsensical, but then all of a sudden it all comes together so perfectly. It's neat.

At any rate, I feel like I can do the basic problems I've looked at now. Or will be able to, once I sit down and memorize the equations and get some practice. Will I be able to do them fast enough to score well? That's another question. But I'm hard at work on it.