Saturday, April 14, 2012

Or... Hard to Wrap Up

So I thought it would be fairly simple to streamline my old 5200 word personal statement, fashioning it into the required 5200 character one. Since I had (and still have) so much MCAT studying to do, and since I didn't expect this to be much of a challenge, I put it off.

The other day I decided I'd drive up to my old apartment and work on it on the little net-book there, so I'd be free of all the distractions that can jump up when one is trying to write. Big mistake. I'd never used the net-book for word processing before (it's not mine, it's my father's, and it's just been laying around my old apartment), but it turns out you can only see one paragraph or so at a time on its monitor.

Needless to say this drove me crazy. I got some basic outlining done, but no real work, and essentially wasted the day driving there and back. Working on the statement at my home computer today, I realized it's actually a lot harder to distill a 5200 word essay into a 5200 character one that you might think. I'm practically having to do a new one.... only I don't have the time for a new one, since this has to be done by the time I leave for work tomorrow evening.

I'm confident I'll have something done, so in the worst case scenario it will at least be finished. It's my sincere hope that the April 15th deadline is a "soft" deadline though, and I'll be able to snag two or three days more to edit this. I won't be able to find that out until April 15th though.

Unfortunately though, it looks like I finally have an application blunder I can't pin on anyone but myself.