Monday, March 23, 2009

Orientation

Today was orientation for my volunteer job with the hospital. Nothing terribly exciting happened - we went over HIPAA, JCAHO, EMTALA, and a few other alphabet soupy things. There was also an overview of which building is where (the Georgetown Hospital is really a bit of a maze in parts), and we learned all the other basic stuff one needs to know (how to sign in/out, etc).

I'm going to be working two days a week, and my time is getting split between the office of neurosurgery and the emergency room. In both places I expect I'll just be doing lots of clerical work, and customer service stuff. Guess I'd better practice keeping up a charming smile while frustrated injured people yell at me.

It's funny actually, because I relate entirely. A few months ago I had to visit the hospital down at Emory when I dislocated my shoulder. The lady in the waiting room gave me a pile of forms to fill out when i couldn't even bend my arm in the proper angle to write.

My studying for the placement test is progressing... a bit. I'm still not moving along at an on par speed for that though. I'm hoping that that will get better as I'm forced into a more normal 9-5 schedule with this job. Hope really won't cut it though - I've got to /make/ it get better. I intend to.