Monday, June 15, 2009

D Is For Done

The placement test is done. I didn't do particularly well. In fact, I did just about as poorly as I could have while still getting permission to sign up for my course: not particularly uplifting news. However, I /did/ do well enough to manage to sign up, and that has to count for something.

Whether I can make the class work against all odds is up to me now - and it is against all odds. I haven't had a math course in years, the last time I had one I didn't do particularly well, and I'm not intuitively adept at this. Add on the fact that this is a semester's worth of material crammed into six weeks, and we have something of a situation.

It's the sort of situation that brings out my inner ID, screaming that failure is unacceptable, that any challenge will break itself against my will, that I'm flawless. Etc, etc. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, my inner three year old won't get much of a say. It'll be up to me to find a way to pass the course (and hopefully do well in it... passing with a C is broadly the same as failing, for my purposes. Even a B is borderline).

The class itself starts two weeks from today. I'm going to more or less just rest for this first week, and I might try to do some more reviewing the second. Once it does starts, I'll have to live, love, eat, and breath math for a month and a half if this is going to have any chance of working. If it does work, somehow, it'll be the biggest confidence builder I could ever come up with... so let's see what can be done.