Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mentorship

I said I'd talk more about the upcoming set of things I have to do, so here goes. The first up was find a faculty "mentor" for me by February 15th. Their job, more or less, is to review the 3+ letters of recommendation that I'm going to get, and add their own letter of recommendation that can tie the previous ones together into a coherent whole. So it's a pretty time intensive job on their part, and I'm glad I found someone to do it. However, it makes finding people for the actual letters of rec a bit harder, because I don't really know /that/ many teachers having not been in undergrad lately.

Anyhow, here's what needs doing (beyond studying O. Chem and MCAT material).

March 15: I need to my resume, a brief autobiography, a lengthy personal statement, and all of my transcripts from undergrad and lawschool brought into the premed office. The resume and personal statement are going to medical schools, so have to be super-well done.

April 1: This is my last day to have done a mock interview with the admissions-help people at the college. And that's a service I really ought to take advantage of, because the medical school interviews are actually really important in determining if you get in. Your grades and MCAT determine if you can get an interview, and then the interview by a panel determines if you get in the school. There was nothing equally like this for law school or undergrad, so it's worth preparing for.

April 15: All letters of recommendation have to be /recieved/ by this date. Which means that I'd better start asking for those letters right about now. People have stuff to do, and probably would want at least a two months head up on having to give me letters. Especially people I haven't been in touch with lately - if I wanted a letter from the law professor I did research with, for instance.

~May 15: This is when my transcripts have to go from the premed office to the AMCAS website.

May 29: MCAT Day. Can't push it back again and still successfully apply for this cycle.

~June 1: This is when the actual application can be submitted to most colleges from the AMCAS website.