Friday, February 17, 2012

Kaplan

Well, my cursory chemistry review is continuing on pace - I'm a bit over half through. I remember everything I'm reviewing, although there are a few types of problems I won't be able to do without some more in depth studying than I'm giving them at the moment. That doesn't worry me too much though; I was able to do them in school, and am quite sure I'll be able to do them again with a more in depth review after I finish this cursory sweep.

The chemistry section is somewhat naturally more given towards problems and equations than the general biology section was. I'm not sure how this will play out in the actual MCAT questions on chemistry yet (will they somehow be broadly generalized and passage based, as in biology, or will the passages involve the need to have more equations memorized). While I'm not worried about it, I am interested to find out - it could have a big impact on Physics, where I'm not half as confident in my ability to review and remember things that I never fully understood in the first place.

If the chemistry questions are largely broad-based though, then it's very likely the physics ones will be as well. And that would be good news.

As far as other studying stuff goes, I looked around the Kaplan site a bit and they have a few packages. The one I'm leaning towards costs a somewhat painful $1900 dollars to sign up for (although there's a $250 rebate of sorts). I'm pretty positive I'll be signing up for that in a few days nonetheless though, once I get my checks to post at the bank. Given the test design, this seems too helpful to not take given the opportunity.

I've still had no luck getting anyone from AU's premed office to reply to me, despite leaving a voice mail and e-mails. Fun. So I went and e-mailed my old undergraduate premed office at Vanderbilt with a few questions today. Hopefully they'll get back to me next week sometime - they've been good in the past. I'm going to wait on that before registering for the MCAT, although that needs to get done really soon too.