Monday, August 31, 2009

It's A Small World

I haven't written much about my work in the Office of Neurosurgery lately, mostly because my working isn't particularly exciting. Some of it is sort of borderline interesting, like collecting the statistics on operations performed by various doctors from the departmental records and from the OR records, and comparing the two. Sometimes there's a big discrepancy because the OR won't credit non-lead surgeons despite their participation, and the comparison is necessary to show that certain doctors have been doing as much, if not a good deal more, work than they should be. All in all though, it's fairly slow and uneventful work.

Today while sorting files, I ran into one from an old friend. Friend's not the word really... I only knew her briefly and we didn't leave on very good terms. It was the first pseudo-ethical dilemma I've had here, really. It was tempting to open the file and see what was wrong. I didn't, of course, because that would have been horrible of me in addition to violating all sorts of professional conduct rules, but the temptation was there.

Whatever happened, here's hoping she manages to get through it well. Neurological problems can suck. I know.

Apart from this, I'm getting more and more worried about Physics. I can still follow what goes on in class just fine, but I absolutely positively cannot make sense of our textbook. There's a million and one symbols in it, and I don't even know how to say them all. Then it starts talking about integrals, which we never covered in our first semester Calculus course.... It's really really disconcerting, and I don't know what to do.

Failing the class (or getting a C) simply isn't an option. Even a B isn't very good. I'm someone who quit grad school, so I suspect anything less than stellar will be likely to raise red flags to the admissions committee.

So I need to figure out a good plan of action. I think I'll meet the teacher this week and talk to him, which is fairly rare for me... I'm not the type of person who likes to drop in on office hours for better or worse, but right now I think I've got to.