Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Earthquakes and Drug Tests

So we had an earthquake. Yeah, a 5.8 one. Nothing particularly relevant to this blog, but it was a pretty exciting event since we hardly ever get them over here in DC. Apparently it was the biggest one we've had in the last 69 years too. It still wasn't that big, although it did break a few pieces on top of the national cathedral, and knock things off walls. There's a bit of a crack in my parent's apartment now, and there seems to be in the Washington Monument as well.

I remember it because it woke me up. My thought process was pretty much: "Why didn't they tell us they'd be working on the roof this morning.... why do they have to shake the roof to work on it... why to they have to shake the building to work on the roof..." And then I was awake enough to figure out what was happening. It wasn't my first earthquake, since I'd been in a few of similar sizes back when I visited Japan. But it was still neat enough. We don't get much weather like that on the east coast. No hurricanes or tornadoes or tsunamis or earthquakes to remind us how small we are.

Anyhow, back on topic. I went out for my drug test today (the company giving it is separate from the one I will be working for). The receptionist just kind of gave me a dull stare when I showed up and asked for my documents. I said I had been given none. Then she asked for a confirmation code, which had been given to me but I had forgotten all about because I've never ever needed something like that for an appointment before. I ask if I can use their computer to quickly check my e-mail and get it, and got another big dull-eyed stare. Apparently I can't borrow their computer for one minute to get the code. So I'm reasonably frustrated. It's not particularly close, and I really didn't feel like coming back the next day.

Anyways, I went back to my car to leave and fortunately realized that I'd left the folder from the orientation in the car, and had written my code down in that as well. When I came back there was a new receptionist who was much more personable and I was able to get the drug test after all, although I wasn't able to just give them my prescription bottle of percocet to prove it's legitimate. Apparently I have to wait for them to call me back once I test positive before I can present it to them. And since it's a drug test I doubt they'll take my word for it over the phone, so it seems I'm going to get to drive all the way back up there anyways. Yay.

But at least things are moving. I faxed over my vaccination records as well, so I'm making pretty good progress. I still need to get my Hep B vaccination and a TB test, so I'm going to try and set those up in short order. Otherwise, things look to be coming along well. My moving date is rapidly approaching, and I checked the wheels of my car and added pressure to them for that. I've been picking up some boxes and bubble wrap as well.

Edit: The new blog design is very crisp. And white. I like the big change in design, as I'm making a corresponding big step forward with my plans. The design feels a bit empty though, so maybe I can find a picture in the coming weeks. With moving ahead though, looking for good pictures isn't much of a priority. I might end up posting a picture of the hospital, but I should probably take my own for that later rather than use a copyrighted one from the hospital's site.