Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sometimes It's Better To Make A Call

So yesterday was my last day volunteering at the hospital. I hadn't been sure I'd wanted to stop before, and had been thinking about trying a different part of the hospital next, but classes haven't been going well. Technically, they're not going "badly" yet either, but that's just because I've had no tests, and my only grades so far are from homework. I'm well aware that if I have a test, especially in Physics, but in either course at the moment, it will be an ugly and unpleasant affair.

Speaking of which... we have our first tests next week I believe, in each class. The Physics one is a very small quiz-test. It's the length and difficulty of a normal exam, but only counts for 5% of our grade. The idea behind it is to help us understand his tests, and get us working extra hard if we haven't been so far. The Chemistry test is a normal one, and probably worth ~25% of my grade.

Since I've been getting behind, I've wondered how I can change things. Freeing up my Monday's seems like a decent start... that's a lot of extra time I can use to study. The afternoon-evening labs I have really hurt my ability to work well on those days, and on the days immediately preceding them I'm always busy trying to do my lab reports. Then there's the general stuff I have to do for the classes themselves. It's only two classes, but I've found that I really don't have that much time to do more than "keep up" with them. Just "keeping up" won't work for me, since I'm not innately good at this stuff. I need lots of time to go over it if I'm going to be able to get it to work.

I decided to take today off rather than go in for my morning courses on four hours of sleep. I'm not sure if that was mistake or not. It won't really matter for Chemistry: all the teacher does is regurgitate her powerpoint slides word for word (actually, I don't think they're even /her/ own slides, I think they're bought from some company....). Missing my Physics class, on the other hand, is a genuinely bad thing. At least doing this helps make today feel like genuinely new start.

Regarding my two tests next week, I have three main choices. I can focus almost exclusively on
Physics, almost exclusively on Chemistry, or try to study both. Normally, studying both would be the obvious call. Given how far behind I am in Physics though, and how the Physics test is only worth 5% of our grade, I'm thinking it might make sense to go all out on Chemistry for the next 7 days, and then try to go all out getting caught up in Physics after the tests have come and gone. I can completely fail the Physics test and still get a 96% in the class, after all (technically...).