Sunday, July 18, 2010

Tears

Fun Fact: After binding to a bacterial cell wall, viruses use an enzyme called lysozyme to degrade the wall and enter. This same enzyme is present in human tears, where it acts as an antibiotic to protect our eyes.

Picked that up working on my exam, and thought it was neat.

The exam is going fairly well. Its almost done now (as well it should be). Some of it was more involved than I'd anticipated though, and the questions I finished up yesterday aren't really "finished" to a perfect standard. So I guess it looks like I relaxed a bit too much when all was said and done anyways. It's not badly done though... we'll see what happens. Maybe I'll get another B+. I really have this awful tendency to become lazy, and I can't believe I let it happen this semester after working so hard the last one. It's disappointing. I'm still sliding by, a B+ isn't awful, and it's quite possible I can up my grade to an A- or A even if I do get another B+. It's just disappointing. And not good.

It makes me worry about the actual application process down the road from here. I have a deep seeded fear of not making it, and am acutely aware of several people more qualified to get into med schools than I am (unless you count the whole I got unexplained epilepsy/I care thing as a strong reason to think I should get in).

I can finish this class sliding by, but if I get (or stay) lazy next semester when I have hard courses again, I'll be ruined. Must fix.