Thursday, August 5, 2010

MCAT Dates and My Grades

First off, I got a 4.0 in Biology 210. It didn't come as that much of a surprise, since I'd calculated that I would have had to score as poorly as a D+ on the lab final to get an A- instead, but it's still nice to have the grade be official.

Second, back to the MCAT.

I got in touch with the AAMC and had a few of my questions answered. The 2011 schedule actually is up, if somewhat hidden (I think I'd even stumbled on it in one of my posts a long time ago, and lost track since). I now have the link to it, and its solidly bookmarked so it won't get lost again. There are multiple dates and April and May, but only one in June. July and August are both out of the picture for me - I think I've officially decided they're too late.

It takes roughly 30 days for your scores to get back to you after you take the exam, so that will be an important point to consider. Registration for the MCAT itself doesn't open up until November (I didn't get a specific day, so I'll assume 1st until I find out otherwise), so I have a bit of time to figure out what to do.

In April, the test is offered on the 9th and 16th at 8:00 AM, and on the 29th at 1:00 PM. In May, it is offered on the 7th, 20th, and 21st at 8:00 AM, and on the 26th at 1:00 PM. In June it is offered on the 16th at 8:00AM and 2:00 PM.

Since it only takes 30 days to get scores back, there's not a single compelling reason to take the April 9th or 16th tests unless you were worried about doing badly and wanted time to take it again before applying. Taking it in June is, I think, probably too late also. It would be "doable", but I'd be far behind many people in the application process. I'm partial to the two dates at 1:00 PM, since being awake for tests is good. The second of those two dates is still pretty late though, sadly. The 20th and 21st are pretty close together, and the only real difference is that one is on a weekend (which is more convenient for some, and might be more crowded). So I'm going to arbitrarily chop out the 21st as well to narrow down my list.

So I have four dates to pick from: April 29th (ideal, if I'm ready then), and May 7th, 20th, or 26th.