Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I Guess Triage Works

Haven't posted too much lately. A combination of being busy, sick, and a bit out of it. But we got our first Organic Chemistry test back the other day. It was a fairly relevant test, since we only have two in the class. Even more so, since I skipped one bio lab report (our lowest gets dropped though) and most of my cell biology exam studying time to focus more on Organic Chemistry.

The test went fairly well. I'll use well in quotation marks, because it was another weird test where 20 points of extra credit questions were asked, so you were taking a test out of 120 but really only being graded out of 100. I got a 99.5% out of 100, if you count the bonus. Which is what matters for my GPA, I guess. I honestly wonder if many other less than top tier schools run their courses the same way - it seems quite possible, and disappointing, to me. If you don't count the bonus questions though, I still would have had an 89.5%, which isn't an awful grade in its own right.

I was fairly convinced I'd fail the bio exam - literally - after skipping my studying for it to focus on this. But I showed up for that test last Monday and it went ok. I didn't do great on it, and there's plenty I got wrong, but I didn't fail it. It should still technically be possible to 4.0 in that course even, although I'd have to score perfectly on about everything from here out. So an A- is looking like the more realistic outcome there. Not too bad though, if I can keep it above a B+. The key is going to be doing really well on my lab reports, since I got a 0 on the one I didn't do to study chemistry instead. That's been dropped, but if I do badly on any of the remaining ones my average in that course will bleed out.

Spring registration is coming up soon. And I guess I have to decide when to take the MCAT. I still kind of don't want to take it in April or June, in part because I don't know if I can figure out physics for it in time, and in part because I'm convinced applying to medical schools this year would be a waste anyways since I didn't manage to get any relevant jobs beyond my volunteering gig.

On the other hand, if the last year or two of these post has showed me anything its that I tend to expect to fail, get down on myself, and then things kind of work out better than I'm expecting.

I'll try to have a talk with the premed advisers, I guess.