Monday, April 11, 2011

Realistic Assessments

So. Things look bad. Very. The second organic test is tomorrow and I have every reason to believe I won't get above a 60 on this one either. I'll quite possibly do worse, in fact. So... my best grade possible for the course (non curved) - working on the absolutely unrealistic assumption that I take the cumulative final in two weeks which would have about three times as much material as this test and manage to get a perfect score - is about a C. Which can be bumped up to a B by the curve. But, like I said, that's a completely unrealistic assumption.

It's annoying to have on class throw off my whole plan. It's tragic that it happened to be the very last semester of the very last course though. I'd even gone out of my way to make the course I thought would throw things off (Calculus) get taken first, so I could just change things up after a few months rather than a few years of classes. Here I am though and.... well.... tough luck.

I don't know what I'll do next.

If I take the optional final and manage to work my way out of this course with a C, then maybe the option of going to nursing school will be open since that doesn't require a year of organic chemistry. If I take the final and it lowers my grade (quite possible, since it would be harder), then I'm not so sure I'll find a nursing school willing to let me in with D's (or worse, an F..... which would be a pretty shocking turn around from the A I got first semester. Go figure).

I can go back to law school always. The problem is finding a job after though, since I won't have had any of the internships, and I'll have tough luck getting a second year internship after having quit law school for 2 years. That will be tough to explain away in an interview.

Other jobs I have some interest in, like working with the State Department, generally have requirements I should have been busy fulfilling over the last 6 years instead of going to law school and medical school. Experience in "X,Y,Z required, along with a degree in political science or...". I have the degree, but I never got that experience since I was doing completely different things. So it looks like it'll be hard to get hired for a spot like this too. At least, for any meaningful position.

Well, that's it for now. I'll see if I can go find a new background for the blog, although it looks like it might be coming to a premature end.