Tuesday, April 19, 2011

What's To Do With a B+

Status update~ we got our last exam back. It went better for me than the first, although I still just got a C+. Which was pretty much the average score. I wouldn't call it good, cause it's not, but.... a lot of people apparently did worse so I shouldn't complain. By some mystical magic and vodoo invoked to keep the paying students (customers) of a university happy, my average grade for the semester is now a B+ between this exam and the last one.

On the surface it's good news. My grade is definitely high enough to go to nursing school if I'm so inclined (although I'll have to take a few more prereqs, etc). Options are nice. Options are also cruel.

I have a really borderline set of grades for getting into medical school. I did well in /most/ everything, and there's a very reasonable chance that I can place as worst of the best and make it in somewhere. If I do that, I have to apply. If apply I have to choose between taking the MCAT now (and almost certainly doing badly.... 1 month isn't enough prep time for basically relearning physics), taking the MCAT a year from now (ok if it worked out.... if it doesn't work out... another extra year wasted.... I think I'd break), or taking it both times (and letting schools see my bad first score, on the 5% chance I manage to get an acceptable first score instead).

If I just give up and go with nursing I'll actually end up with a career sooner despite needing a few more undergrad courses, but I'll always be a bit bitter about just giving up probably ... the million dollar question is whether I'd be more bitter than I would be spending another year studying for the MCAT and ending up nowhere.

Not that I wouldn't enjoy nursing. I think I really would. But I'd be second guessing myself for a long time.

In some ways I'd hoped more for an A- or a flat F. That would have made choosing what to do easier.

Well, I've scheduled (or am trying to, more specifically) an appointment with the premed advisor here. I might try to call my old one from Vanderbilt again as well and see what his thoughts on the matter are, the more informed opinions the better. I have an instinct to take the "wait one year, study for the MCAT, work as a paramedic or something, and then apply" approach, but part of me is worried that that's just me procrastinating. Maybe I would have a chance if I spend the next month studying, but I just don't want to admit it to myself for some weird reason.

... that's probably unlikely.