Friday, October 30, 2009

I Got Beat By A Korean...

But I'm still happy.

I took my Chemistry test at 8:00, after having been unable to fall asleep most of the night because of stress. I think I got two hours of sleep... something near that. The stress managed to keep me up for the test though, and - knock on wood - I think I did quite well. Right now I'm expecting that I got an A- on it, though it's possible I did a bit better or a bit worse.

That means I can reasonably expect to salvage my Chemistry grade for the semester. An A is out of the picture, given how I flubbed the first test, but if I do this well again an A- is still possible, and a B+ is very attainable. B+ is too weak a score for Vanderbilt Medical School, of course, but it's strong enough to keep me in the running for others.

I finished the test very quickly too, which was fun. I used to do that back in college, but haven't been able to do any tests well /and/ quickly since returning to school. It was a really fun feeling to just walk in, crush, and walk out.

The fun faded a bit after that, since I got to sit around for an hour waiting on my Physics class to start. A more cautious person might have double checked their test. Maybe even twice. That's not stylish though.

Physics brought more nice surprises. We got our tests back and, as I thought, I'm not the only person who didn't get around to finishing the last problem. So the last problem was just scrapped and counted as extra credit. Not having (most) of the unfinished material count really helped out my score, and I ended up with an 82%. It's not a great score, sure. But it's actually enough to let me still get an A- in the course if I do about as well on the final. It was also better than the average score again (which was somewhere around 74% this time).

The "word" is that a small curve gets put in place after the course as well, so even an A might be possible, if I do well on the final. That could bring me to a tangent about ridiculous grade inflation and its attendant problems.... I won't get into it now though. I'm just happy to not have an F.

The Korean, by the way, was my Physics lab partner. He got a 108%. (Someone's getting into med school....)