Thursday, March 4, 2010

I Can Explain How Sunsets Work

... so why am I doing so badly in Physics?

The thought just struck me an hour ago, when I opened the shades on my wall-window, and saw a gorgeous sunset. Then I realized I knew why it was gorgeous, and how Rayleigh Scattering is responsible for producing all the varying colors as light hits objects in the air (normally the sky is blue from our perspective, but because light has to travel further through air to our eyes when the sun is on the horizontal at sunrise/sunset, the blue light has more time to scatter, leaving a stronger impression of the reds and oranges that have larger wavelengths).

Neat, huh?

Spring break starts this Friday. I'm going to have to work really hard throughout to try and get ready for the next test, because I'm just not understanding things again. They're trying to use (mildly) complicated integrals that I can't follow, because I only took the first semester of Calculus (which was all I had to take for med school and, apparently, the only prerequisite for this physics class). I can hardly read the text book though, at some points. I might as well be staring at a wall. And I don't have enough time to teach myself integrals at the moment.

What to do, what to do.

Just keep going, I guess, and hope enough other people are unable to follow that my grade will get curved up to something respectable. And then hope serious calculus physics problems aren't on the MCAT. Or, at least, that they don't feature prominently.