Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm Getting a Job!

Well... maybe. I applied for one, at least.

I found out that there are some area hospitals that are willing to hire students as medical scribes. Basically, you get to follow a doctor around the ER, and record patient complaints, histories, medical information, etc, etc. It's not a particularly glamorous job, but it would be neat.

I'd get great clinical experience for my medical school applications (assuming they let me apply with physics going the way it is....), since I'd be right there next to every patient, every day. I'd get good experience with a medical schedule, working crazy shifts with random hours throughout the night.

Most importantly, I wouldn't be a fifth wheel like I felt (at times) when I was volunteering. And I'd get paid. Not much, but I'd get paid. Which is nice, it makes you feel like you belong a bit. I /think/ I might even get my very own scrubs.

This is all getting ahead of myself though, I have no clue if they'll want to hire me, or even need to hire anyone.

It would be extra stress, and extra work. Obviously. But I think I'd like to have an actual job right now. I'd feel like less of a "left behind" undergraduate student, and more like part of something important. And if the whole MD thing does end up collapsing because of physics, this would still be great experience for any other future job in the medical field.