Wednesday, February 17, 2010

When I Said Things Will Go Well

I hope I was right, because yesterday's Physics test went quite badly. Exactly how badly will depend on how this teacher ends up splitting partial credit but... it went badly. Probably badly enough to stop me from getting an A- in the course, barring some sort of curve or me miraculously scoring a 100% on everything from here on out.

Lessons learned?

1: I studied far too much for a challenging chemistry test that never materialized. Next time, I can practically put off all studying for the Chemistry test beyond a 1-Day review and - if I've kept up with class/the reading - I'll probably do just fine.

2: Don't switch the order of studying. It was partly the snow's fault for constantly rearranging tests, but I started studying for the Physics test, then stopped when it got pushed back and started on Chemistry, then flipped again and again. I never adequately focused on either subject.

3: Study for these tests by doing the problems, not rereading chapters multiple times. The rereading I did gave me a much better feel for how things worked, it's true, but to do well on the test I needed a kind of different skill set, and I needed to have done more specific memory work. It's probably better to read the material once and then spend my time doing/redoing all sorts of problems than it is rereading the material four or five times until it clicks, in a broad sense. That might not be true in a greater "I understand Physics" approach, but it will certainly work better in a "I got a B or better in Physics" approach.

My next set of tests now is towards the end of March. With any luck, it will be a bit warmer then and I won't have to deal with any more of this snow. Which is good: I'm tired of waking up early to walk to school on ice.