Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Specifically

Having had the night to dwell on it more, here's why I'm really disappointed in this test. Of the 11% points I didn't get, 6% was on questions that I knew would be there. I didn't know the actual questions, but I had convinced myself that there would be a question on one of the various cycles asking what the impacts of taking away "x" or damaging "y" would be, and I was convinced that there would be a question asking for a definition of a basic and simple term that featured two-plus key components. I also knew I'd have trouble answering both of those things (for different reasons) before I even walked into the exam. And I didn't (couldn't?) do anything about it.

I'm not sure if not doing anything about it or being unable to do anything about it is worse. In the first case I'd have been lazy, in the second - merely incompetent (the word's a bit strong, but you get the point).

Another 2% was lost on a question I knew the answer to, but went back and second guessed myself on. It was a question on what external factors impact the cell cycle. The answer was cell damage, and I knew it, but I picked something else because a cell's damage is - technically - an internal factor. :: Sigh ::

Only 3% was lost on stuff that I don't "regret". I really could/should have had my A on this.

The positive take, I guess, is that I'm apparently good at reading this teacher's tests at this point. So hopefully I can figure out the final, and not have any questions I know I'll have difficulty with when I walk in to take it. I should also avoid second guessing myself over phrasing, because these tests apparently aren't designed to try and catch us on minute details like that. I really want a 100 on the final. Or something very near that. Time to go to work.