Monday, June 7, 2010

Persistance Pays Off. Somewhat.

I showed up with various highlighted articles. Each stated cases where temperature had a significant impact on at least one portion of the cell cycle, or the creation of a component necessary for the cycle's progression. It was a pretty open/shut case. It was pretty awkward.

I started trying to say that I picked cell damage simply because it sounded as if it was an internal cause, when the question was asking for external causes. I tried that first because it would have been an easy fix that shouldn't have upset anyone (and I think it was true). It didn't fly though, so I either had to go to option two and bring out my papers, or just walk away. If you've been reading this, it shouldn't be much of a surprise that I decided to pull out the papers.

I got my points back (yay, no more B+). I also got what felt like an icy stare of death. I started trying to summarize the articles, and got cut off with an "I can read them myself," so I don't think it worked out well at all in that regard. I have a sneaking suspicion it didn't actually change my final grade either - 15% of our grade is locked up in a few short essays, and none have been returned to us yet. That's a bit suspicious, given the incredible turn around on the tests themselves, and I suspect that 15% is effectively being held as a kind of "participation/misc" grade.

Maybe I shot my chance at a letter of rec too (and an important one, at that...). Although if simply trying to straighten something like this out shot my chance at a letter, I don't know... science is supposed to be about getting to the facts at the bottom of things. I just wanted credit for what was - with ample proof - a correct answer. Or at the /very/ least a situationally correct answer. I worked really hard getting ready for the test, and knew the answer to the question. I think it was reasonable to want credit for it.

I wish things had gone better, atmosphere wise. I have a habit, it seems, of creating difficulties with people when I really really don't mean to. It's unfortunate. Offending someone over their test was the last thing on my mind. I'm just really concerned over grades, since I can't really fall back on anything if I don't manage to get into a medical school. And I'm a bit OCD. Once doing this got into my head, it couldn't get out until it was done.

Outcome wise, at least, it felt nice. I don't think it would be an exaggeration to call it a defining moment in my journey. I felt decidedly scientific, having spent the weekend pulling up journal articles focusing on things related to (but beyond) what I'd covered, and working hard to make sense of them. It was a pretty inspirational process, from the moment I decided to fix things to the moment things got fixed.

I only wish I hadn't (possibly) blown the chance for a crucial letter of rec in the process. (And, similarly but slightly separate - I wish I hadn't upset anyone's feelings over the matter).