Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sweeps Week and Shopping

Well, with the final exam this coming Wednesday Bio 110 is pretty much finished up now. It's going to be a tremendously busy week though - I also have to type up a lab report for Tuesday and Thursday, a little essay on genetics for Wednesday, and I have my lab "final" on Thursday as well. I'm set up for it pretty well though, I think. It would be nice if I'd managed to get my mini-essay or something done today, but I'm still in pretty good shape.

I'm hoping to do the essay and the first lab report tomorrow, so I can study really hard for the exam on Monday and Tuesday. I'm current on the reading for it already (or will be once I catch up on 10 or 15 pages with my morning coffee tomorrow), so those two evenings would both be solid study time rather than just "learning" time.

It's shaping up to be the hardest test of the semester, in terms of the amount of mechanisms that need to be memorized. I don't think it's anything I can't handle though. What will be interesting to see is my final grade in the course, as long as I can get an A- or better on this final that is. How the grade comes out will go a /long/ way towards determining if this is a teacher I can ask for a letter of rec in the future or not, my "this answer is correct, your question is in error" escapade notwithstanding. If I get an A in the course, (which is probably what I'd average, barring any vindictive essay grading) I can feel pretty secure. A B+ would show that I'd been hammered on the essays for no good reason though, and that I should seek letters elsewhere. An A- might show that as well, although it would be harder to pin down.

At any rate, I bought a new 23" HD monitor to celebrate finishing this class up, and am typing from it right now. It's really neat, and I have a new wall paper up that looks absolutely gorgeous at this resolution. I'm also going to get a three-day weekend at the beach once this week is over, and am /definitely/ looking forward to that. The forecast is calling for scattered thunderstorms on two of the three days, but that's not too bad - especially if they're just scattered. When I get back to town, classes will start right up again with the higher level Bio 210, but I'll also get to see a band I like that's coming to town, and a friend who's coming over from Europe for a few days. Speaking of friends, I even ran into some from high school the other day and we're probably going to get together a bit too. Good times, as long as I force myself to keep my focus on the work that has to be done rather than the fun I could be having.